Tuesday, September 17, 2013

So you want to fly around the world to become an au pair, quit after two weeks, and then travel around the country...

I have been a bit quiet over here but it's not due to a lack of internet or things to write about. Quite the opposite, actually! I took a trip to Milford Sound yesterday and it was dream-come-true in the most literal sense. I sat down multiple times today to try to write about the whole experience but I just can't quite yet. Soon, though! Soon I will capture as much of that as I can.  There are also roughly 400 pictures from that trip alone that I need to sort through.

Oh, this is you? Pull up a chair because I'm a fountain of unsolicited advice.

1.  Underpack. I am someone who tends to underpack and I like it that way. Sometimes I take it to an a bit of an extreme, like that one particular occasion I unintentionally forgot to pack underwear. Have I mentioned that Target is my favorite corporation? For this trip I brought one decent-sized checked suitcase and a smallish/medium-sized hiking backpack. I thought I would have a home to use as a base when I was traveling but… nope. 

Do not bring that checked bag. Get a medium sized pack and keep it to that. Otherwise you will think you are really clever for taking the back way to your next hostel in order to avoid having to dodge the masses of tourists lining the main street through town. Although this route is the same distance you will seriously underestimate the grade of the hill up which you will are about to lug your suitcase and backpack. 
This segment is maaayyybe 1/15th of the hill.
You're not even 2/3 of the way up.
Welcome to Struggle Street.
You will have regrets. 
You will have even more regrets when you're very literally sweating it as you're being pulled down that (unnecessary, because you could have taken the flat, tourist-laden street) hill by the aforementioned suitcase while balancing the backpack you're hauling.  You will wonder why you always forget that going downhill is just as hard as going uphill.  Because you are insecure about overpacking you will also want to shout to everyone on the street, "I did not overpack for the trip that I thought I was taking!" Leave your suitcase behind. 



2. Always, always have chocolate on your person. Always. You will reach a point where you think that you've probably consumed a lifetime's worth over the course of a single month and then deny yourself for a couple days. Don't do that because regrets. You will probably become concerned that you're developing some sort of emotional eating problem. It's okay, you can deal with that later.

3. Take pictures of the oddities and absurdities you find along the way. 

easy there, killer.

not sure if you can make that out 
(I had to snap this one really quickly because the shop owner was lingering around)
but that is some sort of skin care product
made from sheep placenta.

4. Read those hostel reviews. Read 'em real good. 

5. And then take them with a salt lick because sometimes the nicest hostel that got the most fabulous reviews is full of crazies, or the mostly-nice hostel that got so-so reviews is full of awesome new friends.


7. Plan, plan, plan in advance and research what you want to do. And then go read another two guidebooks. You might be tempted to only do a limited amount of research beforehand and talk to locals once you get there. By all means, talk to locals and people who have been traveling around. Remember, though, that you will unexpectedly quit after just a couple of weeks and then be scrambling to figure out your life. Do a little research more research ahead of time, Skippy. 

8. If you have a smartphone, take screenshots of walking maps while you have internet so you don't have to pull out a map when you're walking around or, worse yet, get caught without any directions.

9. Oh, you're public crying again? Please refer to #2.




10. Do fun things! Sure, they're more fun when you can share them with someone else, but they're still pretty fun when you do them solo. Go out and explore, make some new friends, let your feet take you wherever they may, and see what the area has to offer!   

Later!
Chey

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, you are SO brilliant and funny and I don't mean to sound snarky or self-indulgent about my ridiculously, unattainably high standards for world travel buddies but...... I would travel with you any day!! Please be safe, and know how much of an incredible person you are to recognize this adventure and grab it by the sheep placenta and live it to the fullest!! We miss you bananas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, just realized I never replied! (orrrr NZ internet ate it... side-eye). Haha, no shame--everyone should have rigorous requirements for hypothetical world travel buddies. Regardless, it's an honor to make the cut ;) Miss you guys like crazy!

      Delete

comments make me happy.