Tuesday, September 10, 2013

a word on my geriatric ways



Queenstown is known as the adrenaline capital of the world. The oldest official bungy jumping site in the world is here and it has totally set the tone. Adrenaline junkies flock here to get their fill of bungy jumping, sky diving, canyon swinging, whitewater rafting, skiing and snowboarding, and more. I have heard so many people nonchalantly discuss bungy jumping the way one might say, "oh, maybe I'll make some pasta for dinner," or, "I went for a nice laid back swim at the beach yesterday." I don't know. If I were to ever go bungy jumping or sky diving (it's not not not ever happening; you're welcome, Mom) I think I would probably walk around exclaiming daily to anyone who would listen, "I jumped out of a plane/off a ledge head-first and liiiiived!!!" I dunno, that's just me. 

Anyways. Being here has more than reaffirmed my geriatric ways. Bungy jump? Canyon swing? I'll go on that scenic tour of Milford Sound instead, thanks. And maybe that trip to a farm to watch a sheep-shearing demonstration. (I haven't done these yet but I will! As soon as the weather is nice again)! Speaking of the weather, yesterday was really stormy. There was a thunderstorm that lasted pretty much the entire day. I love a rainy day every now and then but everything I was hoping to do was weather-dependent. Staying cooped up in the hostel didn't sound very appealing so I ventured out. To the library. 

The hostel where I stayed in Auckland had a pretty stellar set of book swap shelves. Amidst the many travel guides and German books and an unfortunate number of copies of Fifty Shades of Grey I happened to spot a copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which just so happens to be the latest of the HP books that I had read. I picked it up hoping that it would entertain me on the rainy days and, well, Potter Mania: I've got it. (again). Ever since I finished reading it I have been itching to get my hands on books five and six (and the first four, too, if I'm being honest). Unfortunately books are crazy expensive here (That paperback costs as much as a weeks-worth of groceries? Yeah, nope), so I've been waiting until I could make it to the library and crossing my fingers that they would have copies. And...

success!
I can't get a library card because I don't exactly have a permanent address at the moment
(minor details)
but I certainly don't mind hanging out at Queestown's cozy branch.

There is a mountain outside that window
that you can't really see in this picture because of the clouds.
You're just going to have to take my word that it is perfect and pretty.
this is bliss.

Visiting libraries has been one of my favorite things to do while I've been in New Zealand, especially when when the weather hasn't cooperated with my outdoor exploring. I hadn't really considered them when I was planning my travels but I think I will include spending at least a couple hours in a local library in all of my future travel plans. Today I had to run a few errands so I couldn't stay for long but I can't wait to make my way there again soon to pretend I'm at Hogwarts and browse the stacks.



Wish you were here!
Chey

**My mom would like to receive credit for suggesting the library when I was sick of being cooped up in the hostel for too many rainy days in a row in expensive Auckland, so... hi, Mom. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

comments make me happy.